Thursday, December 3, 2009

They made a book outta that movie?

Tooling around the net the other day, and I got to thinking about books being made into films. See, I know lots of novels get optioned but never make it to the screen, but I wonder if it's really to the author's chagrin or not. They've already gotten some nice bank out of the optioning, haven't they (if not, please let me know and I'll fix the post)?

I know the possibility of big stardom comes with a successful film that ramps up your book sales. It may even bring you new fans. Hell, I started reading Deaver because I had seen and liked the Denzel film.

But then there's a guy like Robert Crais, who was fine with his stand-alones on the silver screen, but refuses to option the rights to anything with Elvis Cole or Joe Pike...presumably because he thinks Hollywood would screw it up (be honest, they would).

What do you think? Would you go for the big movie and the check, even if Hollywood completely altered (or even destroyed) your characters or book? And if you are a reader, what do you think when this happens? Are you happy the movie got made anyway, or bummed that it changed your favorite book so much?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess it depends. If I had success in publishing already, and knew I had an audience and an income regardless I would be picky for sure, especially with my novels set in Alaska.

But, the fact that I have not yet sold, and therefore have four years, four novels and no money I would, for the right amount, be willing to consider the six figure option or rights purchase. alright, I'd probably trip over myself signing the rights contract

And if it came in the form of a seven figure offer....uh I think my wife would leave me if I held off against that kind of offer.


(by the way, my blogger word verification word when posting this comment was "festical"...."festical"? sounds like happy anatomy?)

Jake Nantz said...

I know what you mean. I think if I had a chance to sign a contract that would insure my wife never had to work again, and I didn't sign, I'd be in some serious trouble.